Chapter 2, Fabricate face and rear motor mounts
I then decided that the best option to mount the motor would adding two plates to the swing-arm mount. Using cardboard I mocked up where the motor would be sitting and made templates. I was sure to include the chain tensioner and spring mounts (see next chapter) I then cut them out with cheap 1/4″ thick particle board to ensure all was correct.
Best picture I have of the swing-arm bracket. Also the ME1003 DC motor sits on a jack in position.
Wood motor mount installed, note how it overlaps the existing swing-arm mount.
Using a jigsaw, patience, clamps, and a hole-saw I cut the mount out!
Wood -> Aluminum
I then had to drill large 3/8″ holes through the frame and long bolts for extra stability and structure that the engine previously provided.
Note the 10″ long allen bolts with 2″ aluminum spacers for proper alignment of the mount.
Finished and clear-coated motor mount.
Here is the REAR motor mount. It is basically the same as the front mount but cradles the motor with a high temp rubber edge, and a high strength hose clamp to ensure it engages and seats in the mount via wrapping around a stud at the apex of the cradle.
see how the mount cradles the outer permitter of the motor keeping it stable.
Top is the rear motor mount, bottom is the front (motor face) mount. Small triangle is chain tensioner (chapter 3) large triangle is battery mount.
Its been a while since I’ve had time to tinker in the garage. I finally got around to throwing some parts at this Buell Blast. Seemingly a simple lightweight motorcycle conversion it turned into a mechanical challenge rather quickly.
Day 1, Boy that Purple is ugly…
Upon disassemble of the gas bike I soon realized this wasn’t going to be easy. The complete rear swing arm AND kick-stand were attached to the engine block. This quickly made things challenging as the bike was basically in 2 parts.
Bike in 2 pieces, this was un-planned.
Chapter 1, Re-attach swing-arm
First and foremost I had to figure out a way to re-attach the rear swing arm. Using levels, lasers, and good ole’ rulers I situated it perfectly with the main frame based on previous measurements and pictures I had taken. I then used cardboard and cut out templates to make a very stout bracket aluminum welded bracket.
Aligning the frame and swing-arm
The original swing-arm bolt would NOT work as it was clamped on one end (no head or threads) I only had two holes in my bracket. I found a very large metric bolt on McmasterCarr.com with two nuts used to lock the proper tension on this shaft.
Wood jig to hold swing-arm in place for measurements.