Experimental Electric Vehicles

November 15, 2014

Blast from the past, Chapter 1

Filed under: Uncategorized — tonyhelms @ 12:33 am

Its been a while since I’ve had time to tinker in the garage.  I finally got around to throwing some parts at this Buell Blast.  Seemingly a simple lightweight motorcycle conversion it turned into a mechanical challenge rather quickly.

Day 1, Boy that Purple is ugly...

Day 1, Boy that Purple is ugly…

Upon disassemble of the gas bike I soon realized this wasn’t going to be easy.  The complete rear swing arm AND kick-stand were attached to the engine block.  This quickly made things challenging as the bike was basically in 2 parts.

Bike in 2 pieces, this was un-planned.

Bike in 2 pieces, this was un-planned.

Chapter 1, Re-attach swing-arm

First and foremost I had to figure out a way to re-attach the rear swing arm.  Using levels, lasers, and good ole’ rulers I situated it perfectly with the main frame based on previous measurements and pictures I had taken.  I then used cardboard and cut out templates to make a very stout bracket aluminum welded bracket.

Aligning the frame and swing-arm

Aligning the frame and swing-arm

The original swing-arm bolt would NOT work as it was clamped on one end (no head or threads)  I only had two holes in my bracket. I found a very large metric bolt on McmasterCarr.com with two nuts used to lock the proper tension on this shaft.

Wood jig to hold swing-arm in place for measurements.

Wood jig to hold swing-arm in place for measurements.

Advertisements
TrackBack URI

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: